Which are the male/female cavy that is best fits for best-buddy experience, and which matches could bring probably the most dilemmas in their social everyday lives. I really hope this informative article will causes things effortless them live happy together for you to decide on your guinea pigs’ social lives and make.
1. Why do you want one or more guinea pig?
Because guinea pigs have become social pets, it is usually suggested which they reside with one or more another cage mate. Having only one guinea pig makes his/her life lonely, it doesn’t matter how long you may spend with them, as you aren’t (presumably, when you are looking over this) of a cavy species, but individual – which simply does not cut it. We don’t talk their language, although we could mostly determine what will they be attempting to tell us.
Solo guinea pig could get lonely, less interested, less vocal, less active, less funny. It is really not natural in order for them to live without having any other of the type.
Whenever living together, guinea pigs would communicate together, play and run around more, follow and groom one another, and perchance also sleep cuddled up together.
Whenever cage that is choosing, it will always be better to have a similar sex, or different gender but neutered – since there are a lot of abandoned guinea pigs in regional pet shelters, and breeding is usually not recommended, since you can help to save the people through the shelters. This, needless to say, extremely depends upon your geographic location and guinea pig populace.
2. Fancy terms
- Boar: Male guinea pig.
- Sow: Feminine guinea pig.
- Sexing guinea pigs: Determining in case a guinea pig is really a boar or even a sow.
- Neutering: an over-all term utilized to explain the castration of a animal that is male. It is made of eliminating the testicles.
- Spaying: a broad term utilized to explain the ovariohysterectomy of a sow. It is comprised of an eradication of a sow’s reproductive organ – either the whole thing or even a part that is considerably large. It really is a extreme and complicated procedure that is surgical.
Both spaying and neutering are surgical procedures that give your pet not capable of reproducing. A veterinarian performs them. They truly are mostly done due to the overpopulation of animal shelters – it is advisable to save lots of the people which occur then to reproduce ones that are new.
If having an option, always neuter your guinea that is male pig. The procedure is much more complicated for feminine guinea pigs. Constantly consult with your guinea pig veterinarian first.
3. Preparations before presenting newbies
- You have to be 100% certain the sex is known by you of one’s guinea pigs. There are numerous great pages for this, like about this website link. If you’re nevertheless unsure concerning the sex, pose a question to your veterinarian. Don’t depend on the given information fond of you because of the animal store workers.
- Prepare a big cage that is enough you’ll find the minimal suggested proportions regarding the guinea pig cages web page.
- If having two men, prepare separate hiding places and meals bowls, so each one of these might have “his own stuff”.
- The cage and all sorts of the cage add-ons must certanly be washed vinegar that is using to eliminate all past scents. Rearranging the cage inside can be suggested to eliminate the prevailing touch” that is“personal.
- Wash your guinea pigs to notably conceal their normal fragrance. One great tip from Jackie’s Guinea Piggies is to rub the hay through the existing guinea pigs cage from the comer that is new. Like that the newbie would notably smell such as for instance a user of this herd.
- Quarantine duration for the brand new guinea pig. Your brand new guinea pig mail order wives could carry some conditions which may incubate for a time, and distribute among your current cavies. Consequently, it is critical to quarantine your brand new guinea pig for at minimum a couple of weeks, therefore possible diseases would show over time to avoid epidemic. Keep consitently the newcomer from your recurring guinea pigs, and wash your hand always after managing the newcomer.
4. Guinea pig matches
The after guinea pig matches are bought from easiest to possibly problematic.
- Two infant guinea pigs
- Baby guinea pig and an adult guinea pig of this gender that is same
- Neutered male and another or higher females
- Two females. It’s possible they will never get along will depend on their characters
- Two men could reside in harmony, but that is based on a specific instance – again, in the character associated with guinea pigs at issue
5. Introductions guidelines and guidelines
- When launching new guinea pig, never place your brand brand new guinea pig directly within the cage where your old guinea pig is residing.
- Their very very first conference ought to be done in the big, enclosed ground that is“neutral – somewhere away from cage, in an area that is a new comer to both guinea pigs, like a specific area of a kitchen area or your bathroom.
- Spot a stack of hay and treats (vegetables) to the center regarding the area.
- Spot your guinea pigs to the area.
- Prepare some towels, in the event they begin to get actually aggressive.
- Observe they behaviour: ignoring each other is normal. Then, all of this can happen: mounting the other person, teeth chattering, chasing around, purring followed closely by swaggering stroll, etc. It really is a normal thing for them – developing hierarchy, who’s the employer, who’s the friendly neighbor and whom does not care. This can simply simply take about a full hour; from then on, you really need to nevertheless observe them for the next handful of hours.
- Following the observing period (about 3 hours alltogether) they ought to appear confident with one another. It is possible to put them during the cage together.
- Observe their behaviour when you look at the cage for the next time period, simply to be certain these are generally okay.
- When they don’t appear to go along after their time together committed in the basic ground, read further. You will need to throw a towel at the aggressive one and separate one from another if they start to get physically aggressive and fight.
6. What if they don’t get on?
You are able that the guinea pigs won’t go along, no real matter what you are doing and exactly how very very carefully you’ve got browse the guidelines with this handbook web page. Don’t be alarmed or disheartened nature that is works in this manner.
Should this happen, you will have to have them divided one way or another. The smartest thing to accomplish will be have them near sufficient so they really could see, smell and keep in touch with one another, but they are divided with a few style of a partition. They have been nevertheless social, and achieving another guinea pig within their vicinity will be a deal that is great them.